ATTENTION: The event is cancelled due to weather forecast: It’s cloudy throughout the day (Which is nice) so we can’t see too much stars… At least initially. I’ll be going any way for a peace of mind and getting away from the city for a while. If you’re interested, you’re welcome to tag along with me 😀
I gave up on VIII because it’ll get nasty, so numbers are good… Star trail Session 8 will be up by November 1nd (Friday). Not promising a good show because the milky way hides up early and there’s no good meteor shower activity by then.
But, if you’re still interested in a great star trail experience (And perhaps get poisoned with bad hot dog or bad tea… Just kidding, I do good ones), you’re more than welcome to tag along 😀
Because I received this question a lot, I’d like to say that this isn’t Locals-exclusive. Local, Kuwaiti, expat, alien, turtle, ninja, doesn’t matter. The more the merrier 😀
This time, we’ll meet up somewhere different. We’ll meet up in the exterior 360 parking lot by 16:00, leave by 16:30 (17:00 max).
I decided to set this gathering point because:
- It’s closer to most people than Mishref CO-OP
- Many people confuses the usual parking lot and tend to not attend 🙁
- Geant and other shops are few steps away; we can buy stuff before we leave
- There’s a gas station literally next to us; we can refuel before leaving as well
How to register?
If you’re contacting me by a comment or filling up a form, please, for the love of everything good, write down your email so I CAN ACTUALLY REPLY TO YOU! AND CHECK THIS POST FOR REPLIES!
I mean, really, I get some questions and I want to answer them. But I either get an email like firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. That, or reply with a comment and the original commenter doesn’t know my answer because he\she didn’t check back!
Anyway, if you’re interested, you can easily:
- Contact me by this form
- Message me through twitter for perhaps quicker replies
- Email or call me if you already know my email and number (Specially those who contacted me earlier or attended previous sessions)
- Submit a comment here (And provide a valid email so I can reply back to you). And actually read this post every once in a while!
We should arrive by 18:00 ~ 18:30. We’ll arrive in a quiet place so don’t get too freaked out. It’ll be a desert obviously, but there’s an actual road we’re going through so any car can get in. Hell, I drive a crappy Mitsubishi Lancer. If this can get in, anything can!
What to prepare
- A camera with cable release (And don’t you forget it. I ALWAYS DO)
- A memory card that’d hold 500 pictures. Not that you’ll use them all, but just in case. A rough estimation:
- If your sensor is 18MP and below, 16GB is perfect
- If your sensor is bigger than 18MP, bring a couple of 16GB sticks
- A tripod. I’d honestly recommend a heavy and stable one, but light one could work
- If you want to do startrails or take pictures of the sky in general, a 18-55mm lens maximum. I recommend anything below (A fisheye lens works wonders).
- If you want to take pictures of a specific object, well, you most likely know what you’re doing so can’t recommend a lens for you
- Food and drinks
- Mats and chairs
- Hoodies. It WILL get chill
General tips and hints
- Point your camera toward Polaris (North Pole). Stars rotates around it.
- If you want to do startrails, don’t use BULB mode. Stack 20~30 seconds long pictures with this software.
- Set your ISO to anywhere above 300. I’d personally recommend anything between 400 and 1600.
- CHARGE YOUR BATTERIES!!.
- Raise your aperture (As in, drop the f-stops number) as much as you can!.
- If you want to take pictures of Milkyway
- Raise the ISO to anything from 800 to 3200.
- Set your shutter speed to 5 ~ 15 seconds.
- Set a 10 seconds timer (Count down before taking pictures).
- Use your cable, not the shutter button on the camera. Do this so you don’t shake up your camera.
- I’ll be bringing a fun toy that’d help take a good milky way picture without trails. I’ll share it with everyone else 😀
- Patience. Lots and lots of it.
Let’s all enjoy this trip!
4 thoughts on “Star trail Session 8”
Bad hot dogs? Sounds good!
count me in for the next event please 🙂
my twitter account @alowais86